Meetings: Due to Pandemic all meetings will be via Zoom until further notice
Fact Sheet about Kiwanis
- Kiwanis is a global organization of volunteers dedicated to changing the world one child and one community at a time. ~ Kiwanis defining statement, adopted October 2004.
- Kiwanis is an American Indian word for self-expression. The Kiwanis Motto is “We Build.” The Kiwanis Mission is “Serving the Children of the World.”
- Kiwanis is not a social club (although friendships and fellowship are created through Kiwanis). Kiwanis is not affiliated with any religious or political organization, and it is not a secret society.
Benefits of Belonging to Steilacoom Kiwanis include:
- Achieving personal satisfaction through contributing to worthwhile causes that the club participates in…Causes:
- Sponsoring youth service clubs: the Key Club at Steilacoom High School, the Builders Club at Pioneer Middle School (both of whom have many Dupont students participating) and the K-Kids Club at Chloe Clark.
- Providing scholarships to graduating seniors.
- Working with other community groups to help build the playground at Chambers Bay Park.
- Providing financial support to the children living at the Child Study and Treatment Center.
- Supporting Kiwanis International Programs such as the Iodine Deficiency Disorder Project.
- Gaining fellowship and information through weekly club meetings.
- Helping individual pinpoint their community’s needs and working with others to provide solutions.
Expectations of Belonging to Steilacoom Kiwanis:
- Attend as many meetings as you can.
- Take part in club service projects and yearly Wine Fest (wine tasting, auction and dinner) fund-raiser.
- Take an active part by attending Interclub meetings with other Kiwanis clubs, finding a speaker, attending a Board meeting, bringing in a new member, or contributing “Happy Dollars.”
- Membership Dues: New Members 1st Year Dues $80. Membership Renewal $125. per person. Couples if joined before August 30, 2018 $190. Couples if joined after August 30, 2018 $250.
- Having fun
If you are interested in joining the Steilacoom Kiwanis Club or in just coming to a meeting to find out more what it is about, please contact Dick Muri, Membership Chairperson ~ 253 439-9797.
Our meetings always begin with the Pledge of Allegiance, the singing of My Country ‘Tis Of Thee, and an invocation. We also pay tribute to our neighbors to the north by singing O Canada. According to club member Brad Randall, the reason we sing O Canada has more to do with history than proximity. Kiwanis was founded in Detroit in 1915 and the following year, 1916, it branched out across the Detroit river into Canada, thus quickly becoming international. The Kiwanis Club of Steilacoom is in the Pacific Northwest Division which includes the Yukon and British Columbia.
of the United States of America
and to the Republic
for which it stands,
one nation under God,
with liberty and justice for all.
My country tis of thee,
Sweet land of liberty,
Of thee I sing.
Land where my fathers died!
Land of the Pilgrim’s pride!
From every mountain side,
Let freedom ring!
O Canada! Our home and native land!
True patriot love in all thy sons command.
With glowing hearts we see thee rise,
The True North strong and free!
From far and wide, O Canada,
We stand on guard for thee.
God keep our land glorious and free!
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee,
O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.